A video posted on Mother Jones‘s website on Sept. 17 showed Romney at a fundraiser, unaware he was being taped, calling the 47% of Americans who do not pay federal income taxes “entitled.” They “believe that they are victims” and that “the government has a responsibility to care for them,” he said. “My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.” The Obama campaign used the remarks as evidence that Romney is out of touch.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
- Romney: 47% of Americans are Entitled Obama Supporters
- “I Don’t Care About the Very Poor.”
- “Ann Drives a Couple of Cadillacs.”
- “After My Election I Have More Flexibility.”
- Biden: “Comfortable” with Gay Marriage
- “Polish Death Camp”
- “The Private Sector Is Doing Fine.”
- “If You’ve Got a Business, You Didn’t Build That.”
- Romney: London Olympic Preparations Were “Disconcerting”
- Biden: Romney “Gonna Put Y’all Back in Chains”