- A Senate Gang of TBD begins work to disarm Congress’s time bomb.
- In North Dakota, an entirely different kind of fiscal conundrum.
- Presidential elections are mostly a spectator sport in the United States of Battleground America.
- After seeing about 50 of these stories, I figure it’s worth warning you: They’re very, very misleading.
The Department of Justice had given Florida Governor Rick Scott until Wednesday, June 6, to respond to its demand that the state stop a legally questionable purge of its voter rolls that was designed to identify noncitizens and …
George W. Bush is gone from Washington — and sometimes the city seems to have forgotten him. For all the passions that he inspired, the 43rd President’s legacy has been absent from the 2012 campaign. Mitt Romney’s dog and …
1. “Hurtin’ Me, Hurtin’ You”–Steve Earle
2. “Sylvia Plath”–Ryan Adams
3. “Dance Yrself Clean”–LCD Soundsystem
4. “Two-Faced Love”–Del McCoury (a great cover of the Richard Thompson song)
5. “Plenty Good Lovin’”–Sam Moore (of Sam and Dave, one of the great soul voices)
Jim Davidson has followed a curious career arc, from cab driver to journalist to Presbyterian minister. Before that, he went to Harvard on a full scholarship and graduated in 1969. He’s the son of a Cleveland …
TIME’s photo editors bring you the best pictures of the past week from the Beltway and beyond.
The New York Times had an interesting story on Friday about the declining popularity of the Supreme Court. It’s worth reading the entire thing, because there are a variety of interesting cross-tabs sprinkled throughout, like public opinion about potential court action on Obamacare and immigration.
But it’s also worth taking a closer …
President Obama attempted Friday to improve his chops as an international leader working hard to protect American workers and save Europe from its political dysfunction. But his morning appearance in the White House briefing room is likely to be remembered, instead, for a single sound bite he surely wishes he could take back: …
Ron Gould, who’s running for Congress in Arizona’s 4th, joins the proud tradition of aspiring public officials who demonstrate their love of democracy by blasting things to smithereens:
On the drive through Pennsylvania–
1. “Why Must We Die?”–The McGarrigle Sisters
2. “Making Flippy Floppy”–Talking Heads
3. “Walk Like A Man”–Bruce Springsteen
4. “Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again”–Bob Dylan
5. “Moons of Jupiter”–Sonia Dada
Red Lion, Pa.
I met Marlene Miller-Dyke in 1984. She was teaching health and coaching the girl’s swim team at Red Lion High School in south central Pennsylvania. James Carville once said that politically the state of …
- Nate Silver’s first election forecast pegs Obama as roughly a 60% favorite.
- Romney and the RNC out-raise Obama and the DNC for the first time: $77 million in May.
- Ben Bernanke offers no hint of new monetary stimulus. And why would he? Congress applies more political pressure on price stability than on employment.
From his boyhood in Sacremento to the bench in Washington, TIME traces the life of the Supreme Court’s pivotal swing vote.