- “The Obama administration has beaten a monthly health insurance enrollment target for the first time, according to data released Wednesday showing that more than 1.14 million people signed up for health plans in January in the new insurance marketplace.” [WashPost]
- “Hundreds of thousands of Americans in poorer counties have few choices of health insurers and face high premiums through the online exchanges created by the health-care law, according to an analysis by the Wall Street Journal of offerings in 36 states.” [WSJ]
- “Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius was in frequent contact with President Obama and senior White House aides before the disastrous launch of the federal ObamaCare exchange last year.” [Hill]
- ObamaCare enrollment groups learn that the website won’t work on National Youth Enrollment Day. [BuzzFeed]
- “A civilian NSA employee recently resigned after being stripped of his security clearance for allowing former agency contractor Edward Snowden to use his personal log-in credentials to access classified information…” [NBC]
- G.O.P. Senate leaders avert debt ceiling crisis. [NYT]
- Senate Conservatives Fund levels harshest attack yet on Mitch McConnell. [WashExaminer]
- Hillary Clinton’s to-do list [Politico]
- The rise of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker [Slate]
- “Comcast, the nation’s largest cable company, will announce a deal to buy Time Warner Cable in a blockbuster merger worth about $45 billion…” [TIME]
- “The greatest compliment we can give Derek Jeter, as he prepares to leave the grandest stage in baseball, is that he never let us down. He has made thousands of outs and hundreds of errors and finished most of his seasons without a championship. Yet he never disappointed us.” [NYT]
- Pass the sick bag—Derek Jeter’s farewell tour [TIME]
- Prettier in print
- Cover: “The Diploma That Works: Inside the six-year high school” by Rana Foroohar
- “Obama’s Legacy Project: The president returns to his roots in the fight for criminal justice” by Michael Scherer; Maya Rhodan
- “Mexico’s New Mission: It’s the hot new emerging market. But can President Peña Nieto and his team of reformers really turn their country around?” by Michael Crowley
- “Biden Unplugged” by Zeke Miller
- “How Your Personality May Reveal Your Politics” by Jonathan Haidt; Chris Wilson
- “10 Questions with Johnny Walker: An Iraqi-born interpreter for the Navy SEALs talks about finding targets and then becoming one” by Belinda Luscombe
- RIP Sid Caesar, Your Comic of Comics [TIME]
The rich really are different:
The Tea Party gets slapped around again:
It's Valentine's Day folks. If you can't be with the one you love, watch tv, you'll thank me for the good advice.
I take your hate and anger as a compliment.
But the inescapable truth is that you have two choices:
Either behave or be content to be relegated to life on the margins here on Swampland. You can only come out at night to drink while us big boys enjoy life in the daylight.
Wingers like you are now lurking on the edges of life, facing almost certain extinction in due course.
You've lost. Period.
...and America is ours.
The son-in-law of a retired couple killed by a package bomb has been arrested, authorities in Tennessee say.
From the article:
"To CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, Cruz put his own agenda of appealing to the tea party right ahead of the GOP leadership's strategy.
She noted he did the same thing to cause last year's government shutdown by trying to link federal spending to efforts to dismantle Obama's signature health care reforms, which conservatives detest.
Republicans still smarting from that defeat "are looking at Ted Cruz today and going, 'Oh my God, didn't you learn the lesson of the government shutdown?'" Borger said, adding that "it's about him."
That's Ted Cruz folks. He'd tank the economy of the US and the rest of the world for personal political gain. It's all Ted all the time.
Also in the Netherlands circa 1600.
in East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and other members of the Soviet bloc 1945-1989
I seriously pray that they get this right this time. I'm going to by pretty upset if it isn't.
To show how much I love my wife, she's in the shower now and I'm not going to flush the toilet for laughs. I'm so vanilla anymore.
@sacredh Allegedly, he was that mad at them?? Sad.
@fitty_three @collioure @ahandout I helped. They're trapped in a static warp shell, like Beverly Crusher!!
@ahandout Barack Nixon
Poff here too.
Take a hike, mike.
@nflfoghorn, speaking of strange times...I told my wife we could watch anything she wanted to tonight. We're going to watch a 3D vampire movie. How romantic. ; )
@nflfoghorn, we live in strange times.
It takes a consensus to poff you.
Just thought I'd point that out;~)
@hivemaster STTNG references. Lord.
They couldn't have made a better choice among the selection of different fates. I hope it's warm in there.
Wow. There's a red star with your name on it waiting for you;-)
I knew that there had to be some winger in there somewhere, just waiting to roam free!
Lucky as in Russian Police Choir lucky?
She's a sammich maker. Demand it (really, not, my inner winger made me say that)
@fitty_three, gotta go. Goodnight everybody.
@fitty_three, I'm hoping to get lucky. No, not a winning scratch-off.
@nflfoghorn, if she wears a cape and starts to say "I vant to suck your"....I'm interrupting!
@sacredh Just don't take it too literal.
Is 'don't nuke thy neighbor' going to be appended to the other 10 commandments?
We're all on a roll, today, huh?