- Both Sides Invoke Obama in Climax of Virginia Governor’s Race [NYT]
- “President Obama joined the parade of personalities campaigning for onetime Democratic Party chief Terry McAuliffe in the Virginia governor’s race, a closely watched swing-state contest that could test both parties’ strategy for next year’s midterm election.” [LA Times]
- For Cuccinelli and McAuliffe One Day Voting is Still What Matters [TIME]
- “The path for star-crossed GOP gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, [Virginia Republican Party Chairman] Pat Mullins said, looks like this: ‘If turnout is in the 30s, the low 30s, we’re gonna win. If it gets higher up in Fairfax [in Democratic-leaning Northern Virginia], say like 40, it’s likely we won’t. I don’t think it’s going to hit 40 anywhere. I’m looking at 32.’” [Politico]
- Under Health Care Act, Millions Eligible for Free Policies [NYT]
- For Consumers Whose Health Premiums Will Go Up Under New Law, Sticker Shock Leads to Anger [Washington Post]
- NRCC Chairman: Obamacare will Doom Dems [The Hill]
- “Everyone now is clamoring about Affordable Care Act winners and losers. I am one of the losers.My grievance is not political; all my energies are directed to enjoying life and staying alive, and I have no time for politics. For almost seven years I have fought and survived stage-4 gallbladder cancer, with a five-year survival rate of less than 2% after diagnosis. I am a determined fighter and extremely lucky. But this luck may have just run out: My affordable, lifesaving medical insurance policy has been canceled effective Dec. 31.” [WSJ]
- White House: Affordable Care Act Adds Many Protections [USA Today]
- NSA Chief Likely to be Stripped of Cyber War Powers [The Hill]
- Lies Told to Become a Spy [Salon]
- Senator Chuck Schumer Endorses Hillary Clinton for President [LA Times]
- Egypt’s Morsi Defiant; Trial Delayed Until Jan. 8 [USA Today]
- The Incredible, Absurd Iranian Hostage Rescue Mission That Never Happened [TIME]
- The Hunt for Pufferfish [TIME]
Teh Miami Dolphins - the gold standard of brotherhood and unity. Or not.
"...The [Kent] filter material was produced at [Hollingsworth & Vose] plants in West Groton and Rochdale, Mass., and shipped to Lorillard cigarette plants in Louisville, Ky., and Jersey City, N.J. For H&V workers, the results were catastrophic, with whole families destroyed by asbestos disease. A woman named Elizabeth Jacobs buried her husband and brother, both H&V workers, who died of mesothelioma and asbestosis, respectively.
"Then Jacobs also died of mesothelioma in 1985 at the age of 54. Her only known exposure to asbestos came from laundering her husband’s dusty work clothes."
Psst - tobacco companies lie like heck.
As a Christian I'm supposed to love everyone. But I hate my governor. I really do.
I can't believe I missed all the gory glory.
And here I thought pulling the wings off butterflies was fun!
OT, but I just got a phone call and it was bad news. When I was in high school I was good friends with a black guy that was 6'5" and weighed 350 pounds. We were good friends because he was crazy. In phys ed, our instructor hated me because I was a hippie. During phys ed one day, he sent me up against him in wrestling. I was 6'3" but only wieghed 140 pounds (I thought I only wieghed 110 but recently found a photo from then with my height and weight on it). As soon as the gym teacher slapped the mat, I rolled over and he pinned me in like a second. Then he picked me up and carried me around the gym, with me totally limp, crying, "I think I just killed a white boy!". If ever a man was a gentle giant, it was him. He was 59 years old.
Those of you who read Charlie Pierce regularly know his commentator and sometimes guest writier, Barry Friedman - often called Friedman of the Plains. Charlie linked to this piece at the Daily Kos. As I have said at other times, why should I be the only one crying?
Tomorrow is the last election day in my four year term as Majority Inspector, doing my civic duty. Whew. Glad I did it; glad it will be over. I have to be at the polling place around 6:15 am and don't get home until after 9 pm. Too long a day. It will be a lot worse tomorrow because only judges and local officials are on the ballot and a lot of people won't vote. If it's really slow, I may be able to peek in on the Swamp now and then.
...and you wonder why he hasn't chosen a lieutenant governor with his track record of bad selections.
I missed it all too
Don't feel badly.
@sacredh Sorry buddy.
Rest in peace. Many men that size have a lot of health problems.
@sacredh I'm sorry for your loss, sacred.
I want to add one more thing about him before I go to bed. We lived in a rural area and it was as racist as all hell. One of the other guys we hung out with was about 5'5" of 5'6", blonde hair and chunky. He would call me by the short guy's name and the short guy by my name. When anyone would correct him, he'd say that all white people looked alike to him. He had a great sense of humor.
Sorry to hear about that. He sounds like a great guy.
@sacredh Sorry to hear.
That has a strangely familiar sound.
Like "No One Left to Lie to"
@Ivy_B When I helped at the polls we couldn't watch TV, look on the 'Net or barely take bathroom breaks. For thirteen hours. My job paid for the civic duty but good grief.
Wow, thanks for your service. :-)
I for one look forward to welcoming my new Governor tomorrow.
I'd like this but I can't. I'm just totally waffled, er, baffled by this.
Long live the devolution!!!!
@collioure On this day Curly declares victory over reality and data. The Truth is out there!
Someone's ego must be bruised.
I guess I'll just have to take solace in licking things.
@fitty_three, I went to school with his cousin too and he was also huge. He passed away earlier this year although I only found out about that a couple of weeks ago.
I figured it out: You and him are fraternal twints!
@nflfoghorn, I lost touch with him when he moved down south, but I thought about him every once in a while. In a strange twist of fate, he turned me on to Hawkwind and i got him listening to Motown.
In France no one knows you're a biatch?
I have an elected position. I ran on ten ballot four years ago to do it. No tv, but iPad ok. This one there will be time
@DonQuixotic Let's hope so.
This may help.
I missed all the carnage and you guys didn't even have the decency to save the head!
I'm civilized. I would nevuh, evuh, ever even think of doing any such thing to the poor pooch!
How dare you!
I'll have you know my slinger fipped.
Meh, Karma baby!! In paulie's case, anyway.
As for the rest, yes, i believe you're right.
But you know, Paulie taunts. I wouldn't be surprised if he flagged his own posts just so he could act like the victim when they poofed.
Would you, honestly?
We got all the ingredients: Predators, prey, competition, niches a food web, you name it, Swampland is an appropriate name for our little corner of cyberspace.
It's just that here I thought just us murrikans could be destructive. Give you guys a new toy and cut away those pesky First Amendment fetters and you put us to shame.
Must be the poof monster, i guess.
Though i'll cop to the burgers. I forgot my breakfast this morning.
I could have sworn there's this feral pack of Canadican hoodlums running around and poofing things out of existence.
That lady's cane, reallife, the fire truck over there, those two burgers that couple were going to eat, that chair that older gentleman was just lowering his butt into, paulejb's posts...
@sacredh Real-life Bubba Gump!
I have to hand it to you Ivy. You're no Sarah Palin.
Oh, you were playing with one hand behind your back.
I've heard that one before.
@collioure @DonQuixotic @NP042
Of course I didn't lay a hand on you, I wasn't even really posting today.
Everyone else clobbered you though. You're just too arrogant and childish to admit it.