- U.S. government shuts down for the first time in 17 years [TIME]
- “In a sign of just how entrenched Washington is, Congress is fighting over just a few months of government funding. Sometime in November or December, Congress and the White House will have to agree on a longer-term funding bill to last into 2014. This is just the first fiscal fight of the fall. The debt ceiling must be lifted by Oct. 17.” [Politico]
- “A government shutdown this week would jeopardize the paychecks of more than 800,000 federal workers who could be told to stay home. The federal government has more than 2 million employees.” [WashPost]
- “Global investors reacted calmly on Tuesday as the government shut down in Washington, taking heart from the latest sign that the Japanese economy is gaining momentum after years of torpor.” [NYT]
- “In the end, the impasse resulted as much from the internal dynamics of Mr. Boehner’s GOP caucus as it did from the partisan divisions in the country as a whole and the chasm between Democrats and Republicans about basic tax-and-spending policies.” [WSJ]
- “The Republican Party is marginalizing itself to the brink of extinction. President Obama can’t capitulate to GOP demands to unwind the fairly legislated and litigated Affordable Care Act. To do so would be political malpractice and a poor precedent for future presidents. Despite the prior two points, Obama and his party won’t escape voters’ wrath. Democrats are less at fault but not blameless.” [National Journal]
- “American voters oppose 72 to 22 percent Congress shutting down the federal government to block implementation of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare…American voters are divided on Obamacare, with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed.” [Quinnipiac]
- Obamacare Exchanges Open for Business: What You Need to Know [TIME]
- The Seven Most Likely Obamacare Glitches: Some Don’t Worry Me, Others Give Me Nightmares [TNR]
Things I didn't know:
- Canadian inmates get paid
- They are expected to use this on some supplies such as hygiene supplies
- It hasn't been increased since 1981, but costs of the supplies they were expected to buy back then have risen an estimated 700%
- Also, they're expected to buy a lot more supplies now than they used to
- Harper is cutting it 30%
- The top possible income......$6.90 a day
- I have no idea how an inmate can strike when it's not a hunger strike
Speaking of terds, I feel like one. I know I get a little dense sometimes but I have never meant to insult people that don't deserve it.
Hopefully retiredvet will see that.
Dear teabillie fanatic. There's a reason why you are represented by a minority and have your will carried by one man and his 'Hastert Rule' and that the tea party base is a tiny, loud but very unpopular minority of the total electorate.
It's not because you're the purest and coolest of all. Or that you hold a dis appropriate excellent factor.
It's because for some reason Media thinks that loud means ratings and that the speaker is a spineless dolt that rather go against a majority of his caucus that would vote for a clean CR bill then have the moderates caucused by the tea party fanatics.
The result isn't that you win back the majority - it means that a small portion of fanatic voters will decide who will run against a regular Dem and then the larger voter base will pick the Dem. See North Carolina.
It's only a matter of time. Either you age and die off or the flood of people you disenfranchise outnumber and out vote you. Or you crawl back under the rock and let sensible people regain the helm.
I'm torn as to what I'd like but I also think bad and centrist politics rule in the power vacuum left behind when there's no common sense consensus between two idealistic but smart party's.
But what do I know, being a librul and all.
College student calls Ted Cruz out for lying about him in anti-Obamacare speech
And finally, for those suggesting server outages are proof the law "isn't ready," save it.
"Consider that just a couple of weeks ago, Apple rolled out a new mobile operating system, and within days, they found a glitch, so they fixed it," President Obama said this morning. "I don't remember anybody suggesting Apple should stop selling iPhones or iPads or threatening to shut down the company if they didn't. That's not how we do things in America."
Thought I was safe because I said that I note that you Canadians are keeping D. Cheney out of your country - wish we were so lucky, but I forgot about the link.
"As a last-minute stunt, House Republicans, who've spent the last six months refusing to enter budget negotiations with Democrats, announced late last night that they're ready for budget negotiations with Democrats. Early this morning, GOP leaders selected the eight members they'd like to send to these negotiations, known as a "conference committee."
True to form, Republicans chose eight middle-aged, far-right white guys, most of whom are from the south. They then put the eight GOP lawmakers in a conference room across from empty chairs, and tweeted the picture in the hopes of making it appear that they, unlike those rascally Democrats, are "ready to negotiate."
It is hard to fathom how disingenuous these people really are.
Tin cup against bars?
@retiredvet He's the "Head Türd". Not to be confused with the "Türd Blossom"...
He needs to look more like he's passing a boulder.
Of course not; it's propaganda. These are not news organisations. It's to spoon feed as many as possible with enough disinformation that they either make the wrong decision, blame the wrong person or party or remains dazed and confused and goes on shopping.
If these were data or news driven organisation they'd be telling you how toast the GOP is and where the fork goes.
And? It's like these morons think it actually matters.
WTF is wrong with wingers. Why do they insist on behaving like a bunch of frat boys?
When the conservatives were blasting Obama this morning, I was sitting there drinking coffee, eating a donut and occassionally looking up from my newspaper to yell, "BENGHAZI!!", "IRS", "Birth certificate" and "KAHN!!".
@La_Randy, speaking of empty chairs:
@La_Randy You are looking a little pale in that photo I know a doctor that can help, but he is black let me know if you need his number, if not i knwo a fat southern doctor who makes house calls. Moron
Dems should reply with a picture of their negotiators wearing cobwebs saying "We've been waiting here since X. Where are you guys?"
@La_Randy So white, and so male.
For 21 times, the Senate has requested a conference committeee to discuss the budget they passed and 21 times the House refused. This is just for show which describes the current US House Republican contingent.
@La_Randy Republicans: still yelling at chairs. Zing!
@La_Randy It's the GOP's last supper and it looks like Eric Cantor is the guy in the center of the table who will get crucified.
8 d-bags sitting in a row.
Keep in mind that this is a photo for the rubes that think that conference over the CR is the same as conference over the two budgets.
@retiredvet BTW, "Trial by LiveFyre" does not like the English spelling of the word "türd". Würd....
@fitty_three And I used to be a pretty good pitcher in HS baseball. Your point? ;-)
Did they ply you with pills?
@sacredh I can picture Clint eating a TV dinner while railing at an empty chair across the table:
Do you feel lucky?
2 pounds of carrots sliced and cooked in water until almost done.
Drain. Add 1 green pepper sliced into thin strips and 1 medium onion sliced into thin strips. Set aside in a covered bowl.
In a separate pan add together:
1 can of Tomato soup
1 tsp. Worcesteshire sauce
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
Heat to a boil and pour over carrots, green pepper and onion.
Refrigerate overnite or serve hot. Makes two quarts.
Everything the GOP house does is for sure. Real works is for adults.
Rock dots or German.
Sorta OT but I once saw a pic of Rove's car. I laffed.
I deleted it because it was offensive instead of being a play on their attempt to imply Obama was gay by saying he throws like like a girl.
I should have thought it through a little more. Again, I apologize.
That doesn't sound very violent;-)
@fitty_three, federal installation. No weapons allowed on the property. I got asked to leave the building when I suggested that "you b!tches should kiss and make up". Accusing ME of trying to start something!
Amazing. Cracks in the ranks. Is there a law about leaving guns around?
Never mind. Just s thought.
@fitty_three, I was sitting there but jumped in and said "Don't call him a bagger!". Neither one of them got it.
@fitty_three, hearing one conservative call another one a MF'ing idiot bagger made me want to pop popcorn.
@fitty_three, I didn't get too involved myself. The conservatives arguing among themselves made my day. If anybody misses a check, it's going to be fun.
Did you suggest to him that he should look on the bright side because now he can still afford medical care if he ever lost his job?
@fitty_three, I couldn't get anybody to bet me, but I did get a couple of guys to bet some of the other guys. One of the guys that had his vacation cancelled was furious. I was sitting there looking serious and saying, "this must be bagger hell" and shaking my head.
@fitty_three, no, but I did elicit a couple of suggestions that implied a pliablity that I lack because of my age.
@Sue_N, you're welcome. Our company just left. We watched "The Wizard of Oz" in 3D. They did a really good job of converting it.