Closed-circuit video cameras in the Navy Yard complex caught gunman Aaron Alexis prowling through the halls during his shooting rampage on September 16. Alexis, 34, is seen brandishing sawed-off Remington 870 shotgun as he walks through the complex in the edited video clips released by the FBI. The video features no instances of the weapon actually being fired. He was later killed in a shootout with police after killing 12.
In a press conference Wednesday, the FBI revealed a timeline of Alexis’ actions that morning:
- 7:53 a.m. – Alexis’ rental car, a blue Toyota Prius with New York plates, entered Parking Garage #28 at the Washington Navy Yard, located directly across from Building #197.
- 8:08 a.m. – Alexis exited Parking Garage #28 on foot carrying a backpack. Alexis entered Building #197 and proceeded to the elevator.
- 8:09 a.m. – Alexis exited the elevator on the fourth floor and entered the men’s bathroom carrying a backpack and a clipboard.
- 8:15 a.m. – Alexis crossed the hallway into the 4 West area of Building #197 with shotgun, but without the backpack or a clipboard.
- 8:16 a.m. – Alexis shot the first victim in the 4 West area of Building #197.
- 8:17 a.m. – First 911 call is received from the fourth floor of Building #197.
- 8:20 a.m. – Alexis left the fourth floor using the stairs and entered the third floor.
- 8:28 a.m. – Alexis appeared on the first floor.
- 8:57 a.m. – Alexis returned to the third floor.
- 9:25 a.m. – Law enforcement shoot and kill Alexis on the third floor.