- “Plans were set Monday for the highest-level engagement between the U.S. and Iran in more than 30 years, fueling cautious optimism about the prospect for progress in curtailing Iran’s nuclear work after a decade of threats and stalled diplomacy. The meeting on Thursday at the U.N. General Assembly in New York will bring Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif together with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his counterparts from the five other major powers who are negotiating with Tehran on its nuclear program.” [WSJ]
- “The Senate’s Democratic majority leader, Harry Reid, delivered a broadside this week to advocates of the House plan to tie future government financing to the gutting of President Obama’s health care law, starting the clock on a showdown that could be decided on the eve of the potential government shutdown next Tuesday.” [NYT]
- “Ted Cruz began a frantic effort Monday to bend the Senate to his will by employing tactics that have earned him mostly enemies in his less than nine months in the chamber…On Monday, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) and Minority Whip John Cornyn (Tex.) joined the list of longtime GOP senators objecting to Cruz’s strategy, which is intended to shut down the government until and unless Democrats agree to abolish funding for Obama’s health-care law.” [WashPost]
- “Republicans are hoping that a small band of conservatives pushing to defund Obamacare—and risking a government shutdown to achieve that—will agree to postpone the health care fight once the Democratic Senate strips their defunding provision from the House-passed budget bill.” [Washington Examiner]
- “Health care is reuniting President Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton. The two are set to appear together Tuesday to discuss Obama’s health care law at a session sponsored by the Clinton Global Initiative, the former president’s foundation.” [AP]
- VA Gov. Race: “The shift in the race has come almost exclusively from female voters, who prefer McAuliffe by a 24-point margin over Cuccinelli.” [WashPost poll]
OT, but there's a Battleground Texas meeting here this evening. It'll be fun seeing how many other commies there are here behind the Pine Curtain!
Another profile in courage: Texas attorney general and candidate for governor Greg Abbott refuses to take a stand on Cruz's, um, stand
“I rise today in opposition to Obamacare,” the freshman Texas conservative began, serving notice that he intended to speak “until I am no longer able to stand.”
I'm guessing back problems limited him to an hour? A bum knee? He had to p00p?
From Michael Li, with txredistricting.org, on Twitter:
(Yes, non-GOP Texans are having much fun at Cruz's expense)
Little Ted Cruz sat on a tuffet
Eating his curds and whey.
Along came a spider
and sat down beside er' and asked....
What's in the bowl b!tch?
Filibusters just aren't what they used to be.
Neither are poems.
Another note about Cruz' extended campaign commercial, it's too bad the Senate doesn't have the same rules as Texas applied to Wendy Davis - you have to stay on the subject that you are speaking about. If Tailgunner Ted had any principles he would do that instead of blathering about Nazis and Neville Chamberalin.
A good read for all.
@sacredh Why so s-s-serious?
I like that lip thing. He makes them go opposite way.
Kinda like he tried to sneer, but missed.
Is that like the iron curtain only cheaper?
Well, it was so much shiat it was coming out of both ends.
I listened to some and he might sound like a smartipants to the window lickers, but he's running over himself in a way only a 'winger can. Sure - they'll continue to vote for him and he'll get some money, but as far as an intellectual argument against Obamacare - who knows wtf he's trying to say.
@Sue_N, it's hard not to laugh at the guy. He goes completely against public opinion to please a quarter of the minority party and thinks it's his ticket to the White House. 2016 should be entertaining as hell (from our point of view).
Cornyn even slapped him down about his Quixotic desire to end Obamacare. Him, Marco Polo, Snyder, Walker, Lurch...makes you wonder what people were thinking when they elected these guys.
@Ivy_B It is funny that he is referring to his own party with his reference to Nazis and Neville Chamberalin.
He also only spoke for an hour before Mike Lee gave him a break. Wimp! I'll bet Wendy Davis is rolling on the floor.
@La_Randy Someone contact my attorney! Trademark infringement!
@La_Randy A most inspiring and comforting essay.
@La_Randy I thought it was going to be Muriel Spark, which has been on my To Be Read stack for years!
@MrObvious , he's Palin with a penis.
@Ivy_B See upthread. You called it, Ivy!
Old chestnuts never die.
They just stink more.
@kbanginmotown, thanks for that kbang. McCain gave Palin a national stage and Palin ran with it. Would the Tea Party have been as big without her? Hell, we might have had a thread that said "Little Know Alaskan Governor Sentenced To 6 Month Term". And only a handful of comments.
I used to be an avid Wonkette reader in and around the AMC era. In 2006, an ongoing feature was "Which State has the Hottest Governor?" (which, IMHO, was Jennifer Granholm). Then along comes Palin and the site goes ga-ga over her, without ever, you know, having heard her speak.
Fast forward to 2008, and the Wonketteers are all "we knew her before she was famous" and kinda happy/proud that their girl made it big.
And then Palin was interviewed by Katie Couric. Hilarious. The greatest "morning after the night before walk-of-shame" I've ever read. Priceless!
We're on fire!
@sacredh I've always thought Palin was something RuPaul dragged out and then sent it back for more makeup.
No that was the other end. When she saw it, she thought it was a cue that she had the floor, leaned over to speak into the, uh, "microphone" and got a mouthful of penis water.
@retiredvet , did you see the video where Palin thought the penis was a microphone? She winked and it did too.
@PerryWhite1, be grateful.You got the censored version. I held back.
@Sue_N, he's got that "I'm wearing lace crotchless panties and nobody knows" look about him.