- “A gunman killed a dozen people as the workday began at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, creating an improbable moment of horror at a military facility with armed guards at every gate and leaving investigators seeking clues about what spurred the attack.” [WashPost]
- “A United Nations report released on Monday confirmed that a deadly chemical arms attack caused a mass killing in Syria last month and for the first time provided extensive forensic details of the weapons used, which strongly implicated the Syrian government.” [NYT]
- “Federal Reserve Vice Chairwoman Janet Yellen emerged as the front-runner to become the White House’s nominee to lead the central bank, a day after Lawrence Summers pulled out of the contest amid congressional resistance, according to people familiar with the matter. President Barack Obama hasn’t made a final decision, a senior administration official said.” [WSJ]
- “Her public demeanour would be much like Mr Bernanke’s: technocratic and based on meticulous command of the data. Her cautious, consensus-building approach would minimise surprises (and financial-market volatility) as the current chairman has.” [Economist]
- GOP Leaders Link Debt Hike, CR Fight [Politico]
- “J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. is expected to take a big step toward resolving the ‘London whale’ trading fiasco, agreeing to pay at least $800 million in penalties and admit wrongdoing as part of a broad regulatory settlement over its handling of the matter.” [WSJ]
- “By 2020 or shortly thereafter, barring political barriers, the United States will likely be a net exporter of energy. North America as a whole surely will be.” [Foreign Affairs]
'The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.'Wayne LaPierre
Monday's mass shooting occurred in another gun-free zone. Well, not exactly. There were guns, but ammo was banned there.
Mr. Sensitivity: Rick Perry will tour a Maryland gun facility tomorrow.
Because why shouldn't he, right?
Oh, and hey, Rickybaby's gonna debate Gov. O'Malley on "Crossfire" tomorrow evening! Wonder if he's mastered counting to three yet?
@retiredvet We've jokingly talked about the TPers having ODS, but it may be a real thing that's contagious and infecting an already unstable segment of our population...
@retiredvet I saw that on her show last night. I swear, we really are becoming unhinged as a culture.
@sacredh Ding, ding, ding! Folks, we have a winner!
The Best One Yet. Yessssssss....
@retiredvet Guns as games. No, we don't have a problem in this country, why?
@Sue_N, Don't bet against a sock to distract people.
@Sue_N Even here in Massachusetts we get a shooting weekly if not more often.
Close enough ;-)
@fitty_three, it just seems so right and so....me.
Put a tube sock on that, er, um. "undressed portion".
@Sue_N The kid was three. Other than that, I'm speechless.
@sacredh As we say down here, bless his heart.
Though personally I think that's assuming a lot about him …
@retiredvet, we finally finished up all of our canning today (65 quarts of spaghetti sauce and 58 quarts of stewed tomatoes). My wife's back was killing her so I told her to drink a beer or two when she took her pain pills. Her mother came down and said she was taking pills and drinking. I asked her if she's taken her clothes off. Her mom said "No....", so I told her to go up and give her another one. lol.
@sacredh I can't drink beer but I can drink a lot of tequila.
@retiredvet, I had one yesterday. It was disgusting.
What's worse is he slobbers. Yuck.
@fitty_three, that's disgusting and yet somehow appealing.
I told you I was sorry! What do you want me to do, eat the end he's not eating and meet him in the middle?
@fitty_three See what you did? He's eating them now!
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! That's why I gave him your used ones!
It is. Absliartly posilutely you!
@Sue_N, I'm so lucky. I've had exactly ONE job in my life (not counting high school extra money things).
@Sue_N, I've never claimed that even once in my life to get something. I'm a tall white guy with blue eyes. I'm the one they WANT to hire.
@Sue_N , legally, I qualify as a minority.
@Sue_N, I'm 1/8 Indian. I also have NO sense of direction.
@Sue_N, Oh, I tan. I work outside and I have a farmer's tan to end all farmer's tan. When I'm naked, I look like some kind of Frankenstein monster.
@Sue_N, get a good tan and maybe they'll claim two birds with one stone.
@Sue_N, you're a token liberal. They can point to you and say, "See! We have one too!".
@Sue_N, my wife got a concealed carry permit this past summer. She took classes and her dead-man target was the best in her class. She didn't have a single shot outside of the body. Strangely enough, she had three distinct groupings. The head, the heart and the crotch.
@Sue_N, I used to target practice fairly frequently and I'm a good shot. Unfortunately all the guys I used to shoot with liked to get drunk so I quit going out to shoot with them. Alcohol and guns are never a good combination.
BUT I was raised to regard guns as weapons and as tools, never as toys. I was taught to think of every gun as being loaded. In my world, there was (and is) no such thing on this earth as an unloaded weapon unless I have personally unloaded it. I was taught that guns are not just dangerous but deadly, and that they require training just to handle.
There was nothing glamorous about guns in my childhood. They existed for one reason – to shoot someone or something. That's it. They weren't toys, they weren't status symbols, they weren't props to make some political argument. They were weapons.
I'm not afraid of guns. But I am afraid of the people these days who carry them.
It's a shock when you are first confronted with an animal YOU have to dress. That was my baptism, its' what I like least about it. He's not missing anything.
@fitty_three, I have to give my son some props. It didn't upset him. He wouldn't eat game and he had no desire to kill an animal just for "sport". I think he was just going to go hunting with his biological to shut him up. I gave him an easy out.
My vertical dimension is fine, it's just my horizontal dimensions that need a bit of work.
Or, maybe, I'm just demented.
Or make him play Russian Roulette five times.
If he's still alive with the last chamber loaded, the family gets to decide whether to just shoot him or let him rot in jail.
@Sue_N, I wouldn't let my stepson go hunting or own a gun when he lived here. His biological father and I had several discussions on the subject and it always ended with..."My house. My rules".
I'd be more of a bear. Sort of.
@fitty_three Maybe the penalty would be for Grisham to play the unarmed opponent in that "game."
@fitty_three , you spelled twinks wrong. ; )
We seem to be twints. Are you sure I'm not you?
@fitty_three, it's cases like this where I am SO comfortable in my support of the death penalty.
It's sad. I was just looking outside thinking about it and there's these two tweensy little boys walking by, one holding a bag of goodies in front of him while the other is clearly trying to get to it. They were both walking fast.
It was so cute I wished I could have taken a picture of it.
Then my heart broke.
@Sue_N Apparently Grisham didn't either. It's Russian Roulette.
I'm ambiguous about the death penalty, but this guy, well...