- “The Obama administration appeared Wednesday to be forging ahead with preparations to attack Syria. It dismissed a Syrian request to extend chemical weapons inspections there as a delaying tactic and said it saw little point in further discussion of the issue at the United Nations.” [WashPost]
- Russia and China urge restraint. [WashPost]
- “I have not made a decision on Syria,” President Obama told PBS NewsHour.
- “Deep inside the Pentagon, General Goldilocks and her war planners are now in the final stages of calibrating U.S. war plans to attack Syria—not too big, or too small, but just right. That’s always a challenge when it comes to delivering high explosives from hundreds of miles away…” [TIME]
- Obama will brief congressional lawmakers Thursday on the range of retaliatory options. Here’s how Congress will respond. [TIME]
- “Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who ushered the U.S. into wars in Afghanistan and Iraq in 2001 and 2003, said the Obama administration has not clearly justified an attack on Syria.” [Hill]
- Parody: The Political Press Corps Prepares for Syrian Strike [TIME]
- “Fifty years after the March on Washington, President Obama tried to rekindle the enthusiasm and activism that marked his rise to the White House in 2008 in a commemorative speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial Wednesday.” [TIME]
- “For many like Ruby Reese Moone, it was full circle after coming to Washington on Aug. 28, 50 years earlier…” [TIME]
- Watch Presidents Obama, Clinton, and Carter speak. [TIME]
- “Speaker John A. Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the House’s two most senior Republicans, were invited to speak at the 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington—but declined.” [Roll Call]
- “For the vast majority of Americans, premium prices will be higher in the individual exchange than what they’re currently paying for employer-sponsored benefits, according to a National Journal analysis of new coverage and cost data. Adding even more out-of-pocket expenses to consumers’ monthly insurance bills is a swell in deductibles under the Affordable Care Act.” [National Journal]
- “Immigration reform advocates have a new enemy: the congressional calendar.” [Politico]
- “The frustration is evident in Rep. Luis Gutierrez’s voice…” [Hill]
- Obama Administration asks court to fource NYT reporter James Risen to reveal source in a criminal trial over the alleged leaking of US state secrets. [Guardian]
- “Small-business optimism surged in July and August to some of the highest levels since the recession started, according to a handful of recent surveys.” [WSJ]
- What Has Changed Since Lehman Failed? [New Yorker]
- Prettier in print:
Les Combattants French movie in Bluray quality free download! Get it now
Les Combattants French Movie!
Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to Suicide Prevention training I go. This was supposed to be a vacation day for me. I have to drive 50 miles to take this class. I'm depressed.
And by the way, when interest rates hit just 6% the US will be paying $1 trillion per year on debt interest. That's double the current Medicare budget. Thanks for caring.
Waste, Fraud, and Abuse in Government Health Care
Nevertheless, the central finding — that Medicare wastes a substantial portion of its nearly $500 billion annual budget — has held up to many different research strategies. Dartmouth researchers have produced a sizable and credible body of research that suggests as much as one third of Medicare spending is little more than a wealth transfer from taxpayers and premium-payers to health care providers and medical suppliers.
I didn't like shopping there anyway. Yesterday I was at my local grocery store buying a large bag of Pedigree dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think I had, an elephant? So, since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Pedigree Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn’t, because I ended up in hospital last time, but I'd lost 30 pounds before I woke up in intensive care with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms. I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with Pedigree nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it worked well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.) Horrified, she asked me if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off the curb to sniff an Irish Setter's bum and a car hit me. I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I'm now banned from the store. Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of daft things to say.
The Internet as a dividing tool.
“Medicine is the keystone of the arch of socialism.”
― Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Barry is still not going to negotiate just cause you're stamping your feet.
Now go cry in a corner or something.
@retiredvet, thanks. That made my morning. I think everybody with a twisted sense of humor has these kind of incidents. Never be afraid to let the freak flag fly.
@retiredvet Pfffffffffftttttttttt! ::wipes Merlot from computer screen::
"Strong with the trollery is this one!"
Well played, ret-vet, well played!! ::claps::
@retiredvet You should stay away from Sacred, I can see the power of influence he has over you. He will pull you to the dark side.
@fitty_three Similar stats here in Michigan. More rain and 80s on the way, then cooling down on Labor Day.
Eventually, the baggers will be breeding a new race of crazy, I think. The rest of us are too diverse to stand much chance of inbreeding.
@ahandout So you are against health care? Good to know.
@kbanginmotown My partner is much worse!
@Robbert5 I need to catch up with the Sox. So I can get let down as usual.
@Robbert5 I try to drag him to the light but it ain't easy. Have no fear. I can handle it.
@sacredh I was hoping your day wasn't a complete bust.
He read Lenin all day.
He must have been entranced.
The hivemaster finds it hilarious. You will be rewarded with a speedy absorption.
That is all.
By the way, does the fact that being hated by you hurt so much better than, say when ahandout hates me make me a bad, bad person?
What? They are regulating fire?
Aren't you feeling that that racists Barry O is ripping away your God given right to burn whatever you want?
Grab your guns! Take America Back!
[panting with exhaustion]
There. I got it out...
@retiredvet, I'm showered and bandaged.
@kbanginmotown, when I dropped my pants, the doctor just froze. He looked like he'd seen BigFoot or something.
@retiredvet, I am off to bed now, but they called where I work when i was on my way back. As soon as I walked in the door, the boss yelled "ARE YOU INSANE!!??". I was seeing the counselor at the time and told him I wasn't supposed to talk about it.
@sacredh Get some rest. I'd say you'd come back to your senses in the morning. But I'm not optimistic.
@retiredvet, our physicals used to be a lot more thorough. I won $50 by wearing crotchless women's underwear to one.
@retiredvet, the guy I'm going up with bet me $20 I won't do it. Lol. The idiot.
@retiredvet, I'm whipped. I'm heading off to bed. I'm getting up a little early tomorrow morning and bandage both my wrists. I have to go to the area office for Suicide Prevention Training tomorrow. I'll give them a little something to complain about. Me? Inappropriste? Never!!
@retiredvet, we stopped at White House Farms in Canfield (about an hour away)and bought a bunch of fruit and vegetables on the way home. The ears of corn were about a foot long.
@retiredvet, I ate like a pig. They had apple pie too but i was so stuffed I didn't risk it.
@retiredvet, the Presbyterians had chicken. The Baptists had BBQ ribs (with mashed potatoes, gravy, bisquits, corn on the cob and cole slaw for $12). Praise the Lord and pass the pepper!
@retiredvet, it turned out really good. Our friend from Florida flew up to go with us. The sky cleared up and dried everything out by the time we got there. It was a little too hot though. I even skipped the junk food and had a BBQ rib dinner at the church tent. Yes, all of my convictions go out the window when I smell cooking meat.
Socialism in my definition does not only refer to the stated political system of a nation, but the system by which the means of production and capital are regulated and (re)distributed by the government. With high tax rates and government programs that control a large percent of their economies, nations such as Sweden, Greece, and France among others, qualify as socialist.
There's no socialism in Scandinavia. Most of them experimented with Mixed Market and the only one close to something like 'socialism' is Norway at the moment with the largest public sector, no debt and they're saving all the money for when the oil runs out instead of wasting it on tax breaks. They're happy, well off, well educated and have great social and public infrastructure.
Only lazy people confuse social democratic party's within nations with a strong social contract in Democracies with Socialism. The last socialistic countries died under the heavy hand of the Soviet as they consolidated Eastern Europe.
That's good news.
Now if you actually liked me, then I would be worried.
@fitty_three@mantisdragon91@ahandout Nah. Still trying to stop vomiting every time I think of you. http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/conman577/Sprites/Barf-O-Rama.jpg
<snicker> snicker </snicker>
After leading the October Revolution, Lenin served as the first and only chairman of the R.S.F.S.R.. In 1919 Lenin founded the Communist International. In 1921 Lenin instituted the NEP. During 1922 Lenin suffered a series of strokes that prevented active work in government. While in his final year – late 1922 to 1923 – Lenin wrote his last articles where he outlined a programme to fight against the bureaucratization of the Commmunist Party and the Soviet state. Lenin died on January 21, 1924, as a result of multiple strokes.
The sad part is if Lenin remained in power for another decade or more the Communist Party would have been a much better force for good and perhaps had even stood up to Hitler, instead of signing a non aggression pact with him the way Stalin did.