- “Mohamed Badie, the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, was arrested hours after a court ordered the release of former President Hosni Mubarak, offering a measure of Egypt’s redrawn political landscape.” [NYT]
- “The parallel efforts by Israel, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have blunted U.S. influence with Egypt’s military leadership and underscored how the chaos there has pulled Israel into ever-closer alignment with those Gulf states, officials said.” [WSJ]
- “A senior British government official demanded the destruction of files held by the Guardian newspaper related to the US National Security Agency’s mass monitoring of phone and internet use, the newspaper’s editor said.” [FT]
- “Climate hawks are buzzing over leaks from the fifth big climate report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, due to be officially released in September. Spoiler: Scientists are pretty damn confident that we’re screwing up the climate.” [Grist]
- “Sen. Ted Cruz acknowledged late Monday that he probably has been a lifelong Canadian and vowed to renounce that citizenship now that he realizes he’s had it.” [Dallas Morning News]
- “Internal warnings show that President Xi Jinping fears that the Communist Party is vulnerable to public anger about corruption and challenges from liberals impatient for political change.” [NYT] The memo, Document No. 9, calls for some Western-inspired ideas to be eradicated from Chinese society.
- Hillary Clinton doesn’t want the biopics, either. [Bloomberg]
Here's some completely useless trivia.
Under DISQUS I had 7400 comments and 34900 Likes
Under LiveFried.........7900 comments and 17300 Likes
Are we reaching less people under FriedLive?
Gotta run, kids. Hubby and I have a "romantic" evening planned … trying to figure out why water is coming out of the bottom of the washing machine. Ugh.
The IRS screening document for the 501Cs from 2010. This should drive a stake in Issa's lies once and for all.
Man with AK-47 fires from inside Georgia gradeschool. None injured:
"Muslim Brotherhood Blessed Attacks on Coptic Churches"
Barack Obama and hive drones at Swampland also give their blessing to attacks on Coptic Churches.
The answer occurred to me last night while I was reading in bed. I wasn't even thinking about it (consciously) It's the lurkers. You have to log in to hit "like" on friedlive. You didn't have to log in on DISQUS.
@sacredh Well here is how much your "likes" are worth.
Take it for what it's worth.
I think it might have had something to do with your dropping the robes of political neutrality.
Other than to say that you are quite enjoyable to read, it's probably because it's sticking out too far.
Nobody likes you.
@sacredh I know that I'm reaching less people than...no, wait: that wasn't me. Sorry.
@Sue_N Washing machines are harmful to the environment, use electricity, soap and waste water. I am surprised that you have one.
Best hope-a broken hose. Easily fixed.
Worse case-a broken seal and that could be expensive. I figure I am on borrowed time on mine after 12 years.
@Sue_N, good luck.
@mantisdragon91, it doesn't matter what the real thruth is. The truth is whatever spin they adopt to be the perpetual victim.
@mantisdragon91 If only. But this thing has taken on zombie status now. The right will never let it die.
@TyPollard, it's pretty amazing when today's GOP isn't seen as crazy enough for some of it's members.
I wonder if they were wearing their Captain America costumes or tricorn hats when they did it.
@paulejb We did? Did we call for genocide as well, the way you did just a few posts below?
@ahandout, maybe I'm just "out there" when it comes to being amused. But I often see self-deprecating humor in some of your posts.
@ARTRaveler, we are probably going to replace our washer and dryer next year if they last that long. I still am having a bit of a problem getting used to no house payment. I keep looking at the bank statement each month and think there's a mistake.
@Sue_N, we live in very strange times.
@roknsteve, I believe it was a snark.
@fitty_three, I need my own man cave. I have one now because my wife has some different tastes in movies than I do. we both need big screen tvs too.
What would you do with the two extra rooms? I'm sure the MIL is destined for the dungeon, you need a man cave in case there's a temporary revolt in the domestic front, a guest room and a place for your arsenal.
@fitty_three, we have ten rooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 storage rooms and 2 garages. I'd be happy with 6 rooms, 2 bathrooms and a garage. Plus our yard is huge and all landscaped. I'd like just about 1/3 acre. There's just too much upkeep here. I also want lower ceilings. Maybe 8 feet would be nice. I think we can get a nice smaller brick home and still bank 50k.
Also, our house jumped in value by 20k. That will help if we want to move down to the river. There's a lot of nice, small cosy little houses down in the cut.
That's what ours went down to. Ours was 853 but now it's 612. We're glad of that because we were upside down and that 240 extra will go toward paying other stuff off as we get ready to live on a fixed income in 5 years.
@fitty_three, our house payment wasn't too bad. It was $650/month. It was still like a nice raise paying it off. A chunk of the savings went to up the life insurance on me (mostly) and my wife. When we move we're going to downsize. I want a significantly smaller house.
Did you refi? We just signed ours an hour ago. No payment next month then it goes down $240.
@sacredh @Sue_N @mantisdragon91 My late father-in-law, who grew up in the coal-mining part of Virginia, used to go on a tear when he heard people talking about "the good old days." He'd explain at length what things were like "in the good old days."
It got to where we'd cringe when we heard somebody use that phrase.
@mantisdragon91 @sacredh @Sue_N This. I hear people around me talking about "how much worse the world has gotten" over X number of years (almost always since the lamenter's own rosy childhood), and I know it's not true. Grab a history book, any history book, and thumb through the centuries.
The world isn't worse; people aren't worse. It's just that we now hear about the bad stuff non-stop. After a while, it takes a toll on the psyche.
@mantisdragon91, I think 24/7 news coverage and internet coverage increases the chances of copycats too.
@TyPollard, OT, but I went down to the bank and then the store a little while ago. I ran into a guy I used to play basketball with before I had to give it up because of knee problems. He's maybe 2-3 years older than me. He was carrying a toddler so I said that she was pretty cute. Was she his grand-daughter? No. Great-grand-daughter? No. It was his daughter. The mother is 26. The mother ialso the daughter of one of the other guys we played basketball with.