- The bankruptcy of Detroit, confirmed in 16 pages filed at 4:06 p.m. Thursday, marks an epic fall for an iconic American city even as it opens a new chapter whose ending is decidedly uncertain.
- Graphic: Detroit’s debt dwarfs those of the five largest municipalities that filed for bankruptcy in the last 60 years
- The nation’s six largest banks reported $23 billion in profits in the second quarter, but they could end up victims of their own success
- How Aleksey Navalny changed Russian politics
- Navalny released less than 24 hours after he was convicted of embezzlement and sentenced to five years in prison
- The success or failure of President Barack Obama’s climate agenda now rests squarely on Gina McCarthy’s shoulders
- A group of hunger-striking detainees at Guantánamo Bay is contesting the U.S. government’s refusal to let them pray communally during Ramadan
- Coal demand across Southeast Asia may almost double between 2010 and 2020 to 230 million tons
- Does televising important trials let people better understand the case, and the criminal justice system, or does that attention turn the justice system into a circus?
- How to spot a liar with help from the CIA
- The birth of “stand your ground” law
- Reason: “Stand your ground” had nothing to do with the Zimmerman trial
- National Journal‘s 250 Decision Makers and POLITICO’s 50 Politicos to Watch
Get raped, go to jail. Those people are barbarians:
And Tom Toles continues to characterize the debate over health care better in a one-frame cartoon than most columnists do in several hundred words.
This week had a couple of ugly threads and unfortunately some really nasty comments.
It's so ironic that you got these resident trolls whining about reverse racism while ignoring what's on display. But they're trolls. So...
OT, but we just got back from seeing the last matinee showing of "The Heat". It's LOL funny. Crude too.
How the Democrats in the California assembly buy and sell political appointments. It's pay to play plain and simple.
And yet another admission of guilt from democrat and former speaker of the California legislature Willie Brown, of how he rewarded public employee unions.
Earlier this year he wrote a widely-circulated column in the San Francisco Chronicle lamenting the "out of control" civil service: "The deal used to be that civil servants were paid less than private sector workers in exchange for an understanding that they had job security for life. But we politicians -- pushed by our friends in labor -- gradually expanded pay and benefits . . . while keeping the job protections and layering on incredibly generous retirement packages."
Helen Thomas dies:
This will be us if the GOP gets their way.Every Two Hours in India, a Woman Dies from an Unsafe Abortion
Andrew Sullivan: "The religious right is one of the major forces against Christianity right now in this country."
You know Handy seeing that Health Care costs are up 131% in the last 10 years, California is actually doing a nice job to keep the payroll cost jump down to 42%Health Insurance Premiums Up 131% in Last Ten Years | TIME.combusiness.time.com/.../health-insurance-premiums-up-131-in-last-ten-year...Sep 16, 2009 - Today, the average cost of a family health insurance offered by an employer is $13,375. That's up 131% over the last decade—a period in ...
I can post stats all day on how the states union employees are killing California.
California's state government had 9.3 percent more employees in 2011 than it did 10 years earlier - closely tracking overall population growth - but its payroll costs had jumped by 42.4 percent, according to a new Census Bureau report.
California's debt $407 Billion and counting...the tax and spend liberals have done a great job here, mostly spending. Even though we are one of the highest taxed people in the country, the liberals spent more and more and more. Greedy little Bugs, those liberals.
@sacredh You're just figuring that out?
@MrObvious We had our president interject race in a case where race was not a factor, at least race was not a factor to George Zimmerman the Hispanic man who the media calls white.
Obama was so pathetic in that speech that he couldn't even look into the camera.
@MrObvious, A little OT, but my wife checks out the swamp once in a while just to see what I'm up to. When were driving to the theater earlier today she said "You're not happy unless you're p!ssing somebody off. If they kick you out of there, I'll make your life a living hell".
@MrObvious , I admit to trolling a thread or three.
@mantisdragon91 Well that proves you cannot comprehend a fiscal budget. The salary of state government employees has risen by 42.4%.
But you did manage to further shoot yourself in the foot. Public employees in California DEMAND the cadillac healthcare programs. No copays for those union members. So, thank for providing the information that in addition to the increase in salary the cadillac insurance for public employees had more than doubled.
In addition the public employees are guaranteed a 7% growth for their pension plans. So, when the market tanks, and interest rates are at 4% the taxpayer has to fork out the extra for the pensions. Then the pampered state employees can take full retirement at 55.
@ahandout You must be a communist if you don't believe in a living wage. Why do you want your fellow Americans to be poor? Do billionaires really need that extra million every month. And no it's not their money if they cheat honest people out on honest wages. What do you think ahandout commie?
@ahandout Health care costs are up which is contributing to the jump in payroll costs. You of all people should be thankful for ObamaCare.
@ahandout You are complaining when the budget is getting better. Like a poster child for GOP idiocy.
I also think the GOP legislators that insist on invasive ultrasounds for women before having an abortion are barbarians. When will you figure that out?
blah blah blah reverse racism blah blah blah
it's alright; just don't believe your lying eyes when you see your ugly brethren throw their disgusting venom around. Blame Obama for their behavior. Party of responsibility and all that. Speaking of pathetic. Your hate is so dumb and childish.
For each invasive unltrasound, a GOP congressman (or state legislator) should be mandated to submit to a colonoscapy - how quickly do you think they would change the law then?