- Wired profile of the arms manufacturers of Aleppo, Syria
- Individuals buying health insurance on their own will see their premiums tumble next year in New York as changes under the federal health care law take effect. State insurance regulators say they have approved rates for 2014 that are at least 50 percent lower on average than those currently available in New York.
- Bank of America‘s profits jump 63% over last year.
- The IMF makes clear that the Euro Zone needs reform.
- Immigration reform may not be a dangerous vote for Republicans
- Liz Cheney, the daughter of the former vice president, announced on Tuesday that she will primary Wyoming Republican Sen. Mike Enzi in 2014.
- Why did conservative bloggers flock to praise the president of Ukraine? Because lobbyists paid them.
- At the NAACP convention in Orlando, Fla., Eric Holder, the first black attorney general strongly condemned “Stand Your Ground” laws
- A goodbye to a “post-racial” society.
- ESPN is expected to announce on Wednesday that the former network mainstay Keith Olbermann, who contentiously departed in 1997, will return to host a one-hour, nightly show for ESPN2 later this year.
- Mollie Hemingway: How the Daily Show is propaganda film
- Rebirths: The “new” Eliot Spitzer and the return of “Maverick” Sen. John McCain
Completely OT, but this morning at work we were sitting outside at the picnic table drinking coffee and one of the daylight guys came out with an enormous banana. When he took his first bite, I moaned. Then another guy said, "Oh God yes!!". Then another guy said "Work it honey". The guy with the banana went back inside.
I score similar to Gandhi, so why can't I have his peaceful tendencies?Your political compass Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62
I prefer this test:
Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56
It shows clearly that my Libertarian streak is more important than my leftist streak.
The comments over on the Trayvon Marton thread are moving like kids throwing toilet paper on a tree. Their main point is that Trayvon was a crime thug looking to break into a house with Skittles and Ice Tea.
@sacredh I shudder at the thought of what kind of trouble you can make with 5 days off!
@sacredh You are an instigator. See my comment above.
I waded through some fo the racist bilge yesterday. once was plenty. On the other hand, we have plenty of counter-examples, when paulie talks about the ebil librul racists.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77
These can't be right.
Pauljb sez we are a hive and all think alike.
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
I am, I think, to the left of Gandhi, but to the right of sacred. ;)
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74
I obviously need help. And a warning label.
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
@Ohiolib I actually copy and posted one of them for Paule yesterday when he chimed in. He didn't even respond just slunk away.
@sacredh Can't born in Kiev in 1969. Don't tell anyone.
I think it's a wash. You're slightly to the right of me on Econmoic and a little to the left on Social/Libertarian.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41
but no fear of ice axes, oddly.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05
Join the club.
@sacredh Yes, eastern northern Massachusetts on the banks of the Dniepr river.
@Ivy_B I dunno, Ivy. I thought we old f**ts felt "strongly" about most stuff, possibly to compensate for our ordinary shoes (apologies to Mr. Simon). I suspect that's what put me in Trotsky territory.
@sacredh Exactly. My mantra is: SCOTUS. SCOTUS. SCOTUS. At this point, the Dem would have to be pretty much a serial killer for me not to vote for him/her.
I took a quiz on the candidates before the election and was closer to Jill Stein's views than anybody else's. Like we've discussed before though, protest votes are basically throwing your vote away if a candidate isn't viable.
@sacredh I looked at where I stood in relation to the 2012 presidential candidates, and I was to the left of everyone. Even Jill Stein.
@sacredh We commies gotta stick together.
@Ohiolib Oh, I know. It didn't detect my strong beliefs in BOTH private ownership AND public social services. And other stuff like that.
Speaking of preternatural fears, I was sitting at the desk this morning about 3 am working on a report. We were fogged in so no boats were running. A bat flew into the office and flew inches away from my face. It did make me jump.
When we look in the mirror, the mirror just reflects reality. I'm very comfortable with my beliefs. Ohiolib is right though, it's only a snapshot and not definitive.
@sacredhI really didn't expect those results. I knew I was gone; I just didn't realize how far.
@sacredh You're too late. Paulie already told me that jesus was the real anti-christ.
I'm going to get out the MIL's Bible and look for signs to see if one of us is the anti-Christ. I hate doing that though because the Bible leaves blisters on my fingers and my hair starts smoking.