- Don’t worry, Goldman Sachs is doing just fine.
- No deal, despite progress, in closed-door nuclear option Senate meeting.
- Rasmussen: 44% favor ending the Senate filibuster, 38% oppose.
- The Pentagon refuses to charge suspected terrorist Sufiyan Barhoumi, who after 11 years of detention at Guantanamo Bay, has decided to plead guilty to war crimes and serve whatever sentence a U.S. military commission deems just.
- In Egypt seven people were killed and 261 were injured Monday night in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi.
- More of Obama’s ambassadorial appointments have gone to political appointees than at least the past three presidents.
- The U.S. dollar is enjoying a rare period of strength.
- The Seattle Times has a nice breakdown of the mayoral race. Their primaries are August 6.
- George H.W. Bush and Obama met yesterday and were very nice to each other.
- One of the most modern and successful auto plants in the world thrives in an impoverished part of Detroit.
- Charlie Cook: Democrats are unlikely to win a House majority in the midterm election, unless voters reach a breaking point with Republicans.
- Mark Leibovich: Tammy Haddad is “Queen of Suck-Up City.” Will “Suck-Up City” catch on like “DMV” and “Hollywood for ugly people?” Probably not.
- The Oakland A’s Yoenis Cespedes wins the Home Run Derby with a 455 ft shot over center field.
Nancy Grace made a racial insult about George Zimmerman..Bet she doesn't get called out for it..The double standard is so sad.
OT, but it started raining here so I had to quit mowing the lawn. I went down to pick up a prescription and my doctor upped my pain pills from 60 to 120 a month. I also get 90 muscle relaxers a month. Where the hell was he when I was 20 and really wanted them?
"someone who actually knows some history and policy makes first contact with a gaggle of ignorant CNBC yakkers"
North Carolina passes tax reform:“Those with average incomes of nearly $1 million would receive a total tax cut of nearly $10,000,” the North Carolina Justice Center estimated, while the bottom 80 percent of taxpayers “would experience an increase in their taxes on average. The state’s tax system already favors the wealthiest, as the bottom 80 percent pay between 9 and 10 percent of their income in combined sales and income taxes compared to just 6.5 percent for the top one percent of earners. "
The D.C. Council has some explaining to do..
Republican Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education.
For some reason I can't get through due to 'malformed content'. Will this make it?
I'm a lefty - and even I think Nancy Grace is disgusting and shouldn't be on TV.
Anymore than Beck should have been.
@sacredh You don't remember??
@Shinji_Hirako I miss Mark Haines.
That is how you do it.
@nflfoghornThey want to see rioting they need to go to this thread
Its like a clan reunion meeting a neo nazi rally.
@jmac Welcome to serfdom 2.0
@sacredh Dude, 90's not hot. It's a welcome break from the heat.
Nah, make the MIL cut the grass while you have a drink. Make her pull her weight, no more freeloading. It's like Tea Partiers drawing Social Security and Medicare and then whine about government intrusion in their lives.
@terryclifton1 So how does their lowest paid employee compare to what Walmart pays?
One of these days we're going to see them develop rudimentary legs and migrate out of the ocean of stupidity, but it's not going to be today.
@jmac Education= GOP Kryptonite.
Poor Terry seems confused about the idea that people actually have to live off whatever wages they can make (provided they have a job at all, but I digress). Naturally, those who preach that raising minimum wages will only hurt hiring fail to consider that their ideas are still unproven. There are studies that challenge this urban myth (five quoted here) -
They already crawled out but got scared and turned around to head backwards.
@sacredh Well the Texas GOP did want to discourage "critical thinking"
The minimum wage arguments are really tired, unless you are a teenager. The minimum wage is not about a living wage,it's not even close to a "living wage". It's about keeping companies from exploiting workers. Why liberals spend so much time arguing about minimum wages mystifies me. You can raise it, and companies will adjust their payroll, and that's a fact. Just like they are with Obamacare. Obamacare is going to be responsible for the largest shift/loss in personal income since the Great Depression.
Look at Costco, they pay their employees more then a living wage and in return makes a healthy profit, retain good employees that can afford to spend money greasing the economy.
And take a look at most industrialized countries with a higher then average middle class wages - for most part they're doing fine.
And then you look at this country and how we rank overall. We might think we're exceptional but only for the few ultra rich.
Once, I had a relative start with "I ain't got nuthin against no N-words, BUT....."
She was a distant relative becoming distant-er.
I'd like to say that I'm surprised by the things that they're saying, but I'm not. At all. I've got too many friends that always start out a discussion of race with, "Now, I have nothing against black people BUT...".
@sacredh The theme over there is that minorities should not be seen or heard or just go back to Africa. Oh, and there are no racist white people. And it's been that way for over 100 years until that darn Trayvon Martin went to the store and ruined George Zimmerman's life.
Our America is far from perfect but theirs is close to the Confederate South.
You had to be a reverse racist to be a parody troll.
Even you couldn't out redneck the rednecks.
You totally had me. I'm sorry for being reasonable.