Some things will not be cut by the sequester, including Social Security, Medicaid and antipoverty initiatives like food stamps. Medicare will be trimmed by just 2%. Overseas combat operations and the paychecks of troops are also protected. However, some programs for the poor, like emergency unemployment benefits, face an 11% cut, and disaster relief for New Jersey and other storm-battered areas could be cut by $1 billion.
- How Bad Will It Be?
- Does This Mean I Don’t Have to Pay My Taxes Because the IRS Will Be Shut Down?
- Why Is This Happening Again?
- Why All This Focus On Cuts? Wasn’t The Latest Election About Which Party Could Create More Jobs?
- What About Monthly Social Security Checks, Medicare and Veteran benefits?
- When Will the Two Sides Come to the Table and Strike a Deal?
- Is There Any Way to Limit the Damage?
- What Does “Sequester” Mean?