After the speech and the parade came the inauguration parties. And, of course, the red dress that had the whole world talking. TIME goes behind the velvet rope, to capture the scene of the Commander in Chief’s Ball.
More Photography from Time
- D.C. Horror: Shooting at Navy Yard
- 9/11: The Photographs That Moved Them Most
- Carrying the Weight of Syria, Obama Visits Sweden and Russia
- Thousands March on Washington to Honor MLK’s Legacy
- Eugene Allen, the Man Behind The Butler
- White House Reporter Helen Thomas and the Presidents She Interrogated