With most forecasters projecting President Obama as a heavy favorite just weeks before the election, one man took it upon himself to set things right—or at least further to the right. Dean Chambers founded UnskewedPolls.com to bust what he saw as the myth that Obama was ahead. His stroke of genius: change the methodology of polls that showed the President in the lead. That nifty piece of cognitive dissonance went viral, and soon enough people were “unskewing” all kinds of things, from favorable jobs numbers to likely turnout models. Chambers eventually admitted he was wrong, but not before launching BarackOfraudo.com to “prove” the election results invalid.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Campaign Ads
Top 10 Political Memes
Top 10 Campaign Falsehoods
- 10. Jeep Moving Jobs from Ohio to China
- 9. Romney Is an Outsourcing Pioneer
- 8. Romney Wants to Make Arizona’s Immigration Law a Model for the Nation
- 7. Obama Tried to Curb Military Voting
- 6. Romney Wants to Deny Gay Couples Adoption Rights
- 5. Obama Promised the Stimulus Would Keep Unemployment Under 8%
- 4. Obamacare Is a Federal Takeover of the U.S. Health-Care System
- 3. Romney Wants to Ban All Abortions, Including in Cases of Rape and Incest
- 2. Obama Gutted Welfare-to-Work Requirements
- 1. Obama Apologizes for America