Over the summer, Obama’s team worked hard to define Romney as a rapacious plutocrat, and one of the main weapons it wielded was the record of Bain Capital, the private-equity firm Romney co-founded. Obama’s campaign seized on a Washington Post article, which called Bain a “pioneer” in the practice of investing in companies which shipped jobs overseas. But though he retained an ownership stake in the company during the time Bain was making many of these investments, Romney was not actually managing Bain during this period; he had moved to Salt Lake City to rejuvenate its sputtering Olympic preparations. And while Bain profited from the practice of outsourcing, it was only one of many firms which did so.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Campaign Ads
Top 10 Political Memes
Top 10 Campaign Falsehoods
- 10. Jeep Moving Jobs from Ohio to China
- 9. Romney Is an Outsourcing Pioneer
- 8. Romney Wants to Make Arizona’s Immigration Law a Model for the Nation
- 7. Obama Tried to Curb Military Voting
- 6. Romney Wants to Deny Gay Couples Adoption Rights
- 5. Obama Promised the Stimulus Would Keep Unemployment Under 8%
- 4. Obamacare Is a Federal Takeover of the U.S. Health-Care System
- 3. Romney Wants to Ban All Abortions, Including in Cases of Rape and Incest
- 2. Obama Gutted Welfare-to-Work Requirements
- 1. Obama Apologizes for America