Before Obama’s health care reform, the government already accounted for about half of all health care spending. Under Obamacare, private doctors and hospitals will continue to deliver nearly all care. Most Americans with private, employer-based insurance will keep their coverage. Obamacare creates some new federal regulations for insurance and, in rare cases, imposes penalties on individuals who choose not to purchase it. But it is not a government takeover of the health-care system, as Romney alleged during the campaign.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Campaign Ads
Top 10 Political Memes
Top 10 Campaign Falsehoods
- 10. Jeep Moving Jobs from Ohio to China
- 9. Romney Is an Outsourcing Pioneer
- 8. Romney Wants to Make Arizona’s Immigration Law a Model for the Nation
- 7. Obama Tried to Curb Military Voting
- 6. Romney Wants to Deny Gay Couples Adoption Rights
- 5. Obama Promised the Stimulus Would Keep Unemployment Under 8%
- 4. Obamacare Is a Federal Takeover of the U.S. Health-Care System
- 3. Romney Wants to Ban All Abortions, Including in Cases of Rape and Incest
- 2. Obama Gutted Welfare-to-Work Requirements
- 1. Obama Apologizes for America