Obama never said this. The projection was made in a report, written in January 2009, just before Obama took office, by White House economists Christina Romer and Jared Bernstein. The paper attempted to predict the effect of a stimulus package that had yet to be written, before the full severity of the economic downturn was clear. Its forecast turned out to be wrong; unemployment languished above 8% for nearly all the President’s term. But it was a projection someone else made, not a promise from Obama.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Campaign Ads
Top 10 Political Memes
Top 10 Campaign Falsehoods
- 10. Jeep Moving Jobs from Ohio to China
- 9. Romney Is an Outsourcing Pioneer
- 8. Romney Wants to Make Arizona’s Immigration Law a Model for the Nation
- 7. Obama Tried to Curb Military Voting
- 6. Romney Wants to Deny Gay Couples Adoption Rights
- 5. Obama Promised the Stimulus Would Keep Unemployment Under 8%
- 4. Obamacare Is a Federal Takeover of the U.S. Health-Care System
- 3. Romney Wants to Ban All Abortions, Including in Cases of Rape and Incest
- 2. Obama Gutted Welfare-to-Work Requirements
- 1. Obama Apologizes for America