That’s what Romney told CNN’s Soledad O’Brien on February 1, as part of a larger point about the middle class needing more economic help than the very poor or very rich. He later clarified that he wanted to fight for everyone in American society but especially the middle class, whom he argued were neglected by the Obama administration. Combined with his 47% remarks and an out-of-context soundbite in which he said “I like being able to fire people…,” this gaffe was fodder for Romney’s opponents who sought to cast him as out of touch.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
- Romney: 47% of Americans are Entitled Obama Supporters
- “I Don’t Care About the Very Poor.”
- “Ann Drives a Couple of Cadillacs.”
- “After My Election I Have More Flexibility.”
- Biden: “Comfortable” with Gay Marriage
- “Polish Death Camp”
- “The Private Sector Is Doing Fine.”
- “If You’ve Got a Business, You Didn’t Build That.”
- Romney: London Olympic Preparations Were “Disconcerting”
- Biden: Romney “Gonna Put Y’all Back in Chains”