According to The Note, here’s what Mitt Romney had to say about immigration on Monday:
“This has always been a priority for the president he chooses to do nothing about,” Romney said. “Let the immigrant community not forget that while he uses this as a political weapon, he has not taken responsibility for fixing the problems we have.”
This is hilarious on several grounds:
1. Obama has been blocked from enacting immigration reform by the Republican Party. Romney has taken the most extreme position possible against reform, including opposition to Newt Gingrich’s proposal to exempt from deportation illegals who’ve been living in the U.S. for a long time.
2. The Republican Party, and Romney, even oppose the Dream Act, which would give citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants who join the military or graduate from college.
3. Even though he is loath to admit it, Obama has been extremely successful in monitoring the southern border and deporting people who’ve attempted to cross illegally.
4. As a result of Obama’s crackdown, and the poor economy, illegal immigration has been dropping steadily over the past three years.
5. Latino voters know that Romney’s draconian and silly position on immigration–his utter refusal to discuss what to do about the 11 or so millions of immigrants who are here illegally–was pure politics, a squalid attempt to pander to the nativist base of his party. That is why he is rocking along with about 14% support from Latinos in the polls. That is why this is one sketchy sketch he won’t be able to unetch.