Receiving a shower of sparkles from gay rights activists has become something of a rite of passage for Republican candidates this year. But now that the Secret Service is protecting Mitt Romney, glitter-bombing’s days could be numbered. TIME’s photo editors look back at American politics’ glitziest form of protest.
More Photography from Time
- Photos: At the White House Correspondents’ Dinner
- The White House Correspondents Pre-Party: Photos Inside the TIME-People ‘Welcome Reception’
- Presidential Reunion: Scenes from the Opening of the Bush Library
- Front Row Seat: Eric Draper on George W. Bush
- Inside the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum
- Secretary of State John Kerry’s First Overseas Trip