Receiving a shower of sparkles from gay rights activists has become something of a rite of passage for Republican candidates this year. But now that the Secret Service is protecting Mitt Romney, glitter-bombing’s days could be numbered. TIME’s photo editors look back at American politics’ glitziest form of protest.
More Photography from Time
- State of the Union: Handshakes, Hugs and Photo Ops
- First Lady Fashion: 17 Inaugural Gowns That Stood the Test of Time
- D.C. Horror: Shooting at Navy Yard
- 9/11: The Photographs That Moved Them Most
- Carrying the Weight of Syria, Obama Visits Sweden and Russia
- Thousands March on Washington to Honor MLK’s Legacy