Named for Lenny Skutnik, the savior of a drowning jetliner passenger whose aircraft crashed into the Potomac River in 1982, these (mostly) heroic folks have been mainstays of the annual State of the Union address since Ronald Reagan started the tradition with Skutnik three decades ago.
More Photography from Time
- Photos: At the White House Correspondents’ Dinner
- The White House Correspondents Pre-Party: Photos Inside the TIME-People ‘Welcome Reception’
- Presidential Reunion: Scenes from the Opening of the Bush Library
- Front Row Seat: Eric Draper on George W. Bush
- Inside the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum
- Secretary of State John Kerry’s First Overseas Trip