- The recovery’s stall in May was not a fluke: The economy added just 18,000 jobs in June, below expectations and a sign the job market is firmly stuck in the mud. All the news in Friday’s report was horrible: the unemployment rate increased to 9.2% despite a shrinking labor force and prior months’ jobs numbers were revised down.
- Krugman doesn’t appreciate the way the President is talking about deficits.
- Obama will huddle with Pelosi.
- Republican electoral incentives work against compromise.
- I think this headline is premature, but the story well illustrates Pawlenty’s urgency, as does this anecdote from Iowa:
The reason he’s lagging in the polls, Pawlenty told editors and reporters in a wide-ranging discussion with The Des Moines Register’s editorial board Thursday, is that “this week is the first time that I’ve campaigned in earnest in Iowa.”
Pawlenty has made more campaign appearances here than any other candidate except former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.