- Obama wades into debt limit talks with goal of raising some new revenues, mostly from the very wealthy.
- Bowles and Simpson push for a $4 trillion package.
- Obama’s legislative failures have been punts, not failures despite his public efforts.
- In a Tuesday speech, Tim Pawlenty will make the case against the inklings of noninterventionism beginning to surface in the GOP presidential field:
What is wrong, is for the Republican Party to shrink from the challenges of American leadership in the world. History repeatedly warns us that in the long run, weakness in foreign policy costs us and our children much more than we’ll save in a budget line item. America already has one political party devoted to decline, retrenchment, and withdrawal; it does not need a second one.
- Jeff Goldberg finds Tim Pawlenty tough, hawkish.
- Obama’s bellwether counties: Colorado’s Arapahoe, North Carolina’s Wake and Ohio’s Franklin.
- New York voters approve of same sex marriage, but not by overwhelming margins.
- The Supreme Court strikes down matching public campaign funds in Arizona.
- And Michele Bachmann, scholar.